Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Pile - May & June '11

The TBR pile - we all have one and it grows faster than we can read. Mine is no exception. I thought it might be interesting to round up and present all of my recent acquisitions once a month, so ... here we go.

I was late in posting The Pile for May and I didn't buy much books in June, so I decided to merge both posts.





The Deserter (Peadar Ó Guilín)

I read The Inferior when it came out back in 2007 and I remember really liking it, so when I heard that The Deserter is finally coming out I was really thrilled. Peadar was kind enough to send me a review copy, but I absolutely have to re-read The Inferior so I'll be able to fully enjoy The Deserter. Reading priority: high.





Night Work (Thomas Glavinic)

I've accidentaly stumbled across this book while browsing the Web and thought the blurb on the back sounded interesting - Night Work is a book about some guy who finds himself alone on Earth while everyone else seems to have vanished into thin air. Reading priority: medium.








The Quantum Thief (Hannu Rajaniemi)

There was a lot of buzz around Quantum Thief a while ago, with it getting nominated for Locus award for best first novel and everything. It all got me curious, so I was very happy to receive a review copy of it from Tor. Reading priority: high.









Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)

Not really speculative fiction, but even I have to take a break from time to time. :) Bought this because I wanted to buy something I usually wouldn't and I remembered a friend told me about this one. Reading priority: medium.









Pump Six and Other Stories (Paolo Bacigalupi)

No, I didn't read The Windup Girl yet. I still ordered Pump Six, just because. It's supposed to be really good and it's been on my wishlist for ages, mostly because it took so long before it was published in paperback. Reading priority: medium.






The Pile Special

I bet you know the feeling when you have a book on your TBR pile that seemingly everyone has read and praised, but you still haven't gotten around to reading it. I have plenty of those, and I will select and present one every month. My goal? To read it ASAP, preferably during the next month. This month's special is:




Brent Weeks: The Way of Shadows

I saw it, bought it and forgot about it, as usual. Then I met a girl last month who absolutely adores The Night Angel trilogy - even more so than A Song of Ice and Fire series. Now I think I really need to read The Way of Shadows, if only to see whether her love for it is justified.






______________
'Fun' fact: as for now, I've only read one of all The Pile Specials - Richard Morgan's Black Man. I've started reading Gormenghast and Nights of Villjamur, but I didn't feel I was in the mood for the latter and while I like the former, I read it a bit like a bedside story, a few pages every evening, so it will take me forever to read.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The Quantum Thief is one of the most challenging hard SF books I've ever read, and worth every second of frustration. The characters and plot are incredibly complex, and Hannu throws you in the deep end of one of the most imaginative SF worlds I've ever read. It blew me away.

Kyla said...

Wow. That's a really good list. And I haven't read any of them. I have to look into getting myself some of those.

Thanks so much for sharing your reading list! I look forward to your reviews on these books. Have a great day, and happy reading!

Trin said...

@Adam: I really hope I like Quantum Thief. SF tends to be very hit-and-miss with me, but I'm always happy to face a new challenge.

@Kyla: thanks for your comment :) I probably won't be reviewing all of those books, though; I never review everything I read.

Benjamin said...

The Deserter was quite good, though perhaps I didn't like it as much as The Inferior. Pump Six is very good as well.

I'm going to try and get to The Quantum Thief sometime soon.

Alexandra Shostak said...

Ooh I am especially excited to read The Quantum Thief! I look forward to reading your review of it. :)

(p.s. Hi! I came across your blog while looking for fantasy book reviews!)

Mountain Lord said...

The Quantum Thief is definitely one to check out. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to the review too.

Ron Buckmire said...

What did you think of Richard Morgan's Black Man?

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online